Sunday, June 24, 2007

Now the unpacking begins.

As many of you know, my apartment building was sold to a new owner who revealed his plans to turn the units into condominiums earlier this year. Since I don't have $250K handy, I moved to an apartment located in the Lloyd Center/Irvington area that offers more amenities but is of course more expensive. If I hadn't been forced to move, I would have stayed until I left Portland because there are some decided advantages to my old apartment:
  1. Being within walking distance of Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Powell's Books, REI, Hot Lips Pizza, the main post office and the Northwest/Pearl/downtown area in general.
  2. Taking the tram to work (although not having to listen to the tram operator with the reading skills of a second grader when she reads out loud from a book about Portland's bridges to her captive audience is actually a bonus).
  3. Cheaper rent, to the tune of $200 per month. Ouch.
That being said, there is much that I won't miss about my old apartment:
  1. The lack of screens on the windows to prevent overly curious cats from exploring the window ledges in my fifth-floor apartment, thus allowing the afternoon sun heat up my apartment to sauna-like conditions.
  2. Having to send packages to work because the building management stopped accepting packages for residents.
  3. Scrounging for quarters to do laundry.
  4. Using dial-up internet.
  5. Being over half a mile from the nearest grocery store - it's never fun to lug 501,270 lbs of groceries home.
  6. Not having any restaurants that do take-out nearby in case I didn't feel like making a meal.
  7. Needing to plan special trips for cat supplies.
  8. Planning my day around getting to the gym before its ridiculously early closing times.
  9. The way my neighbours could see right into my bedroom, living room and balcony - I'm not much for privacy and I hate having the blinds closed, but when I can reach out and touch my neighbour's windows from my balcony...
  10. Needing to transfer to a bus or the tram to get to work.
Goddamn. I should have moved earlier!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Aside, from the rent hike, glad to hear you've found a place much better for you.

wei said...

Aside, from the rent hike, glad to hear you've found a place much better for you.

Thanks! Now I just have to detach myself from the wi-fi so that I can actually unpack...

lyNN said...

ha! at least wifi actually exists in your part of the world! okay, i'm being harsh. but really, let's face it, oz is at least 6-12 months behind in technology