Monday, February 25, 2008

Dear camera companies, I hate you all.

After going through the specs for the cameras released during the most recent photography industry trade show (PMA 2008), I have ask: is it really so hard to make a point 'n shoot digital camera that possesses:
  1. a wide-angle zoom that starts at the 35 mm equivalent of 28 mm
  2. image stabilization
  3. some manual controls (actually, all I really want is aperture priority mode, but exposure compensation is definitely useful too).
The only camera that fits all these criteria is a Leica D-LUX 3, which was released in 2006 yet still costs $600 (!!!).

Until you camera companies get your asses in gear, I will continue to use the compact digital camera that I bought FIVE YEARS AGO (the Canon S50). And if I don't see a model that I like at the next major photography industry trade show (Photokina 2008), I may have to resign myself to just using my digital SLR... which will be a sorry situation if I can't find one compact digital camera out of all the billion models out there that I want to plunk down money for.

No comments: