Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Life's little annoyances.

My gym cancelled the kickboxing class AGAIN. Bastards. I don't understand why yoga and spin classes are more popular with the members of my gym than kickboxing, but it's probably a West Coast thing that I'm never going to understand. I am looking into doing kickboxing or some other martial arts at another gym or dojo, but most of these places are located pretty far away from me.

And remind me to NEVER get another iPod - I needed the help of another postdoc in the lab and three different computers in order to get my mom's new iPod mini recognized by a PC. (One of those computers required extensive "re-wiring" so that it had a functional monitor, keyboard and network connection - why does the setup in my lab for PCs suck ass?) But through some miracle of modern technology, my mom's iPod mini is not only PC-compatible, it contains George's initial iTunes collection and I've somehow gained access to the lab's iTunes collection... Anybody want to listen to M.I.A. or The Dears? No? Didn't think so.

Because I can complain vociferously if not kept in check, I've resolved to end all my bitchy posts with a bit of humour. And so I present to you (many thanks to Celia for forwarding me the link): two Chinese students lip syncing to "I Want It That Way" by the Backstreet Boys. Prior familiarity with the song is not necessary to appreciate the hilarity of this video (since it was appreciated by a Japanese postdoc in the lab with minimal exposure to the Backstreet Boys), though it will definitely enhance your viewing pleasure.

Finally: Happy Turkey Day to everyone who's celebrating!

8 comments:

lyNN said...

clearly, you are not in the zen.
so much anger, my child.

HA! i should speak.

Anonymous said...

Yes, those BSB lip-syncers make me giggle every time I think of them.

Celia
(who'll eventually get a blog account some day. :) )

Anonymous said...

seriously you need to write a book. there is much to be said about the West Coast, let alone a science lab on the West Coast.

Anonymous said...

Other people also hate ipods...

http://www.smashmyipod.com/


evan

wei said...

It occurred to me today that I should reply to comments.

Lynn: Ha indeed.

Celia: That video makes me cry with laughter every time I watch it. I just wish that the song wasn't so damn catchy. I don't like going around for days singing it in my head.

Anonymous: West Coast is really a different feel from the East Coast. Alas, there will be no novel writing any time soon.

Evan: While I loathe iPods, I don't really see the point in collecting money to buy iPods in order to destroy them. But since I don't want to be subscribed to satanic bestiality porn, I'll refrain from suggesting to this guy that he find something better to do with his time. Do you know him? It looks like he's in Toronto.

Anonymous said...

If you have time, watch the video of them camping out for 3 days in front of best buy with a bunch of xbox nerds. They get 1 of 50 xbox360's then smash it in the parking lot. I would have donated for that. No, I don't know them.

lyNN said...

hunh? why do you hate ipods? where did this come from?

wei said...

Evan: I can't believe that a bunch of people would spend 3 days in a tent outside a Best Buy so that they could purchase an XBox in order to smash it. That's dedication.

Lynn: I hate iPods because it was about a hundred times more complicated and time-consuming to install Mom's iPod compared to my iRiver HP-140 MP3 player.