I have no idea where that expression came from, but it amuses me greatly. Anyways, aside from a wonderful trip to Vancouver in March with Lynn (which I'll write about in another post), I've spent pretty much all of the past two months in the lab preparing for my April 29th seminar, which was given to the entire research institute (or whoever wasn't scared off by the boring title), and which went well although I got some strange questions from the audience. To get me through this recent stretch of hell, I've been obsessing over...
- Keen footwear
My last two pairs of fall/winter shoes were Skechers - they had hollow heels, which tend to develop holes, trap water and get moldy and therefore stinky. I thought that it was about time that I graduated to shoes with solid heels. I bought these shoes from REI and they accomodate and support my flat feet perfectly. I wish that Keen made less clunky looking, more stylish sandals because I'd buy a pair for summer. - Wearable Sculpture
I wasn't much for wearing bling... until I came across Kythryne and her gorgeous yet affordable wire jewelry. Now her pendants are helping me in my campaign to Get People To Stare At My Chest. How could you resist looking, when I'm wearing something as beautiful as this or this around my neck? Kythryne puts out regular updates, usually on Fridays, will do custom pieces (she's already had to deal with fifty million emails from me about a single custom piece) and ships anywhere in the world. So go. Buy something shiny for yourself. - This recipe for Thai Shrimp Curry
Ever since I found the recipe, I've made it almost every week because it's so fast, easy and tasty. I cheat by using half a 14 oz can of diced tomatoes instead of chopping up plum tomatoes. I'm lazy, in case you hadn't noticed. - Publishing papers
...like this one in EMBO Journal (please note that I am not responsible for the usage of the word "subplasmalemmal" which sounds like Star Trek technobabble to me) and an upcoming manscript in JBC (once I finish editing it). ETA: The JBC paper was accepted! - Wonderfalls
Fate conspires to make a cynical 20-something its bitch and forces her to help others by issuing oblique, vague instructions through inanimate animal-shaped objects. While the show's major premise suggests that things happen for a reason, another underlying theme is that people need to connect with one another and not continually erect walls around themselves. I borrowed the DVD set from the public library, and then gleefully purchased my own copy from amazon.com when the price dropped below $20, so that gives you an indication of how much I loved this TV series and how it rewards repeat viewing. - The Company
A series of books by Kage Baker that is obstensibly about immortal cyborgs, time travel and devious corporations, but at its heart addresses the question of whether our fates are predetermined or whether we have to power to change the course of our destinies. (I am big on the fate/destiny/karma issue, in case you hadn't noticed.) Interestingly, I find the books that center on Mendoza, the supposed protagonist of the series, to be the least satisfying because... well, she annoys me. But the non-Mendoza books more than make up for the deficiencies of those that feature Mendoza prominently, which are really still good books. - The sun
It has finally appeared in Portland, and I am enjoying my lunches while soaking up some rays. Before you scream SKIN CANCER at me, the FDA is concerned that there is a general Vitamin D deficiency in the U.S. and is trying to find new ways to increase Vitamin D intake. So... I'm not in danger of getting rickets at the moment.
Hell has abated slightly for the next few weeks, so if I owe you a phone call and/or email, expect to hear from me soon.
9 comments:
Take advantage of the sun when you can. We had a glorious day on Friday in Scotland- it managed to get near 20 degC. It's back to 12 degC today and its wet.
Congratulations on the publications. What's the JBC?
The weather turned crappy and rainy on the weekend, but the sun returned today. Yay!
The JBC paper will be Cathrine's work on an RI anchoring inhibitor. I just finished editing it, so it should be going back to a JBC editor soon.
Indeed that is a great expression ("rocks all corners of a..").
I tried to use it last night, but in reverse ... in that the "weather sucked all corners of a$$".
unfortunately, it went unappreciated. but, i know you would got it had you been there.
I tried to use it last night, but in reverse ... in that the "weather sucked all corners of a$$".
unfortunately, it went unappreciated. but, i know you would got it had you been there.
Oh yes. I use "sucks all corners of ass" a lot too. Especially since the weather in Portland has returned to sucking all corners of ass, lately.
You should save up your uses of "rocking/sucking all corners of ass" for when I visit. I promise to express the appropriate appreciation for each usage.
okay, i have to admit that the expression didn't go over well because i had no idea where it came from. plus i was also not in the greatest of moods. like the weather!
i think we should go shoe shopping when you are here.
i think we should go shoe shopping when you are here.
I might have to get a pair of Keen sandals soon, regardless of how clunky they look. With my current sandals, my left foot hurts after a 30 min walk. (Incidentally, this is the foot that I sprained really badly a few years back.)
You know it's crappy weather when those of us down south of you get the leftover clouds and sprinkles.
In any case, it looks like we're all finally warming up! Time to bust out the LRP Anthelios sunscreen.
Heh, I finally noticed you linked to my knitting blog.
Heh, I finally noticed you linked to my knitting blog.
About time :) Since everyone seems to have a crafty hobby nowadays, I'm thinking of taking up wire wrapping - this is also because the person who makes my jewelry (Kythryne Aisling) isn't taking commissions at this time, and there are certain pieces that I'd like to have. If I do, I'll set up a separate blog.
Post a Comment