While the rest of the lab obsesses about the World Cup (due in large part to their participation in George's fantasy football league), the three Canadians in the lab (Simon, Dave and I) are insanely excited that the Edmonton Oilers have managed to push the Stanley Cup finals to Game 7. No one anticipated that they would get this far after Roloson was injured during Game 1, but their rise from #8 in the Western Conference to the finals should have clued me in on their tenacity and unwillingness to go down without a damn good fight.
Joe doesn't understand why we're rooting for a Canadian team when something like 70% of the players on just about any team are Canadians. But I don't think that he understands that hockey is really the only team sport that's linked the Canadian national psyche, whereas Americans are typically passionate about multiple sports (football, baseball, basketball). Anyway, the last time that a Canadian team won the Stanley cup was the Montreal Canadiens in 1993, and until the Toronto Maple Leafs get into the running for the Stanley Cup (hopefully within my lifetime, because the last time they won the Cup was almost a decade before I was born), I'll be rooting for any Canadian team that makes it to the finals.
After Game 7 tonight, I'll pay a little more attention to the World Cup...
Joe doesn't understand why we're rooting for a Canadian team when something like 70% of the players on just about any team are Canadians. But I don't think that he understands that hockey is really the only team sport that's linked the Canadian national psyche, whereas Americans are typically passionate about multiple sports (football, baseball, basketball). Anyway, the last time that a Canadian team won the Stanley cup was the Montreal Canadiens in 1993, and until the Toronto Maple Leafs get into the running for the Stanley Cup (hopefully within my lifetime, because the last time they won the Cup was almost a decade before I was born), I'll be rooting for any Canadian team that makes it to the finals.
After Game 7 tonight, I'll pay a little more attention to the World Cup...
2 comments:
I had everything BUT the Ukrainian flag over my shoulders when they were playing last night. When a goal was made - and there were many, dammit! - I screamed on the top of my lungs, waved my orange 'REVOLUTION!' scarf, and ran around the room like a proper hooligan.
XO!
A/C
I screamed on the top of my lungs, waved my orange 'REVOLUTION!' scarf, and ran around the room like a proper hooligan.
Were you wearing anything under that orange scarf?? Now that would be proper hooliganism! :)
Post a Comment