Today I learned that the term ratite refers to large flightless birds such as the ostrich (Africa), emu (Australia) and rhea (South America). The reason I know this is because some really stupid git on an online forum was surprised and shocked that emu oil came from emus (where the hell did she think it came from? and would it be so bloody hard to look it up?). Then she made the gigantic assumption that ostrich and emu were just different regional names for the same species. It took me all of two seconds to do a Google search and find the Latin names for these two species. Surprisingly, this was a British woman and not a cousin of Miss South Carolina Teen USA.
Maybe I should send her one of the photos below and tell her that I actually got to see an emu at the Montreal Botanical Garden:
Maybe I should send her one of the photos below and tell her that I actually got to see an emu at the Montreal Botanical Garden:


No comments:
Post a Comment