Oops. I accidentally pressed "Publish" instead of "Save as draft" before I finished the text and inserted photos, so I apologize for the double post.
For those of you not living in the U.S., it was Thanksgiving this past Thursday, and continuing a fine tradition started last year, Joe deep-fried a turkey.
For those of you not living in the U.S., it was Thanksgiving this past Thursday, and continuing a fine tradition started last year, Joe deep-fried a turkey.
We also discovered the proper way to deep fry candy bars (freeze them first), though the first batch (on the left) was in the oil for far too long:
Once again, I contributed a potato gratin to the meal (I always seem to be asked to make one for Thanksgiving feasts), and I managed to assemble it ahead of time so that I didn't have to chop stuff while imbibing alcohol (though the cream leaked all over me and Dave and Cath's car). I also made an artichoke/prosciutto dip at the request of the pregnant hostess, a dish that I seem to have acquired some fame for even though I keep saying that it's extremely easy to prepare.
Though 2006 started out horrendously with Amber's death and work-related issues, I still have many things to be thankful:
Though 2006 started out horrendously with Amber's death and work-related issues, I still have many things to be thankful:
- Family, friends and cats: The cats might love me because I feed them and shower them with attention, but no one else has any good reason to put up with my flaky, opinionated and sometimes bitchy self... so I'm eternally grateful for everyone's indulgence.
- Lynn's move to LaTrobe: I can't go into the reasons for the change in workplace, but I am relieved that Lynn made this difficult decision.
- My trip to Australia: I saw and did so many things that I wouldn't be able to experience on any other continent, so I am deeply appreciative of the opportunity afforded by my parents' generosity.
- The approval of my H1 visa: If my boss wants to fire me once the visa goes into effect on February 1/2007, he'll have to pay for my moving expenses back to Canada.
- My work projects: They are incredibly interesting and challenging, proceeding well for the most part (if slowly) and will be eminently publishable... even if they're not directly related to cancer, failing hearts or insulin secretion.
- The results of Amanda's amniocentesis.
- The outcome of the U.S. midterm elections, which brings me much joy and will hopefully work to Canada's benefit.
- The Multnomah County Library: The extensive holdings of my local library system has allowed or will enable me to watch many TV shows on DVD (CSI, Stargate: SG-1, Battlestar Galactica) for free and I'm planning on passing Christmas 2006 in Portland by watching seasons 1 through 4 of 24. I've probably saved hundreds of dollars in rental fees over the past few years.
- Waterproof rain gear, which is essential in Portland's rainy season (which is called winter in other parts of the country) and even more so when the Pineapple Express is causing unusually heavy downpours and flooding.
- Trimet: As much as I bitch about how poorly it compares to the TTC in terms of reliability, coverage and frequency, the fact of the matter is that it has enabled me to survive without a car for 3 years in a reasonably large American city.




2 comments:
Reading your blog enable me to learn more of your experiences in Portland.Thanks to Lynn for guiding me throught the process of signing up for google.There is not a day goes by without checking into yours, Lynn & Mark's blog. It is like a silent communications to me. Miss you all a lot.
mom
!NOOOO
the deep-fried turkey AGAIN? although I'm sure it is tasty, I just cannot imagine the amount of oil required to cook that thing. although i am craving some KFC. just kidding.
Post a Comment