Shortly before Joe and Amanda moved to the east coast, we went to the Goose Hollow Inn because Joe was really fixing for one of their reuben sandwiches. He claimed to be an avowed corned beef hater, so out of curiosity, I tried one too and was surprised that the meat tasted nothing like the corned beef I remembered from my childhood.
Excellent corned beef is difficult to find in a supermarket, so I wondered if I could make it myself. I consulted The Best Recipe from Cook's Illustrated and for once, it supplied me with an easy recipe: cover a brisket with salt and spices and let it cure in the fridge for 5-7 days, then cover the brisket with water and simmer for 2 hours. The only downfall to this recipe (if it can be called such) is that it generates A LOT of very tasty beef broth (my freezer is stocked with it). And it attracts a certain food-obsessed cat named Xander, who has to be put in the bathroom while I'm slicing the corned brisket.
At first I was assembling my reuben sandwiches by treating it as a grilled cheese sandwich, but these tended to fall apart while flipping. I hit upon the oven method of heating up my reuben sandwiches, which has the benefit of not requiring any attention at the stove aside from shoving in the baking tray and taking it out. I'm pretty sure this is how the Goose Hollow Inn makes their reuben sandwiches too.
Excellent corned beef is difficult to find in a supermarket, so I wondered if I could make it myself. I consulted The Best Recipe from Cook's Illustrated and for once, it supplied me with an easy recipe: cover a brisket with salt and spices and let it cure in the fridge for 5-7 days, then cover the brisket with water and simmer for 2 hours. The only downfall to this recipe (if it can be called such) is that it generates A LOT of very tasty beef broth (my freezer is stocked with it). And it attracts a certain food-obsessed cat named Xander, who has to be put in the bathroom while I'm slicing the corned brisket.
At first I was assembling my reuben sandwiches by treating it as a grilled cheese sandwich, but these tended to fall apart while flipping. I hit upon the oven method of heating up my reuben sandwiches, which has the benefit of not requiring any attention at the stove aside from shoving in the baking tray and taking it out. I'm pretty sure this is how the Goose Hollow Inn makes their reuben sandwiches too.
Pre-oven:
Post-oven:
The assembled reuben:



No comments:
Post a Comment