Sunday, May 11, 2008

A Portland recreation of a classic Canadian dish.

Poutine is a ghastly-sounding but delicious combination of three ingredients:
  1. Normally made with French fries, I decided to substitute an oven-fried version which in theory should be less work and not as messy. My mistake was in choosing a recipe from Cook's Illustrated. My oven fries were almost as messy as real deep-fried fries and set off the smoke alarm to boot.
  2. Cheese curds are really hard to find in Oregon, but after years of searching, I finally managed to procure some from the Rogue Creamery stand at a farmer's market.
  3. I made a really simple gravy from store-bought beef broth. Unfortunately, I let it cool off too much and it didn't really melt the cheese curds.

I have some beef broth in the freezer from making corned beef and some frozen cheese curds bought from last year's farmer's market, so I'll have to try making poutine again soon... but I'm going to use Tater Tots instead of making French fries or oven fries.

No comments: