It snowed today in Portland, as you can see from this pic taken from the balcony in my apartment:
(I was going to take more pics as I walked around the city today doing errands and some last-minute Christmas shopping, but I forgot my camera in my apartment. Doh.)
I was really really really hoping that it wouldn't snow, not because I have some aversion to it (I am Canadian after all), but because Portland is truly pathetic at dealing with snow. The city lacks the capacity to remove snow or salt roads, and I witnessed many drivers getting stuck as they tried to drive westbound on Burnside toward NW 23rd Ave. (which sports a fairly sizeable incline). Note to incompetent drivers: if you don't have chains, snow tires or all-wheel drive, you should avoid the really steep roads unless you want to be involved in accidents.
If my Tuesday flight to Vancouver gets delayed because of snow, you will be able to hear me screaming in Toronto...
I was really really really hoping that it wouldn't snow, not because I have some aversion to it (I am Canadian after all), but because Portland is truly pathetic at dealing with snow. The city lacks the capacity to remove snow or salt roads, and I witnessed many drivers getting stuck as they tried to drive westbound on Burnside toward NW 23rd Ave. (which sports a fairly sizeable incline). Note to incompetent drivers: if you don't have chains, snow tires or all-wheel drive, you should avoid the really steep roads unless you want to be involved in accidents.
If my Tuesday flight to Vancouver gets delayed because of snow, you will be able to hear me screaming in Toronto...

No comments:
Post a Comment